Introduction to west college scotland

Established in 1948, West College Scotland is one of the largest of Scotland’s colleges and is the only college in Renfrewahire with over 20,000 students, 650 staff and 300 courses with each year enrols approximately 18,000 learners studying on full-time, part-time and flexible learning programmes.

one of college's building

As well as the main campus in Renfrew Road, Paisley, the college operates from three other centres: the Construction Skills Centre in Barrhead, delivering construction programmes; the Centre for Performing Arts in Paisley, delivering dance, drama and music programmes; and the Renfrew Leisure Centre, Renfrew, delivering sport and recreation programmes. The college continues to invest in its estate, with a new purpose-built Institute of Construction and Engineering on target for opening in session 2011-12. The institute will provide new facilities and resources for learners studying construction and renewable energy programmes, key sectors in the local economy. The college’s existing estate has been upgraded to improve energy efficiency.

The college links with a range of external partners in local government and the business community, supporting local business development priorities. A partnership with the Open University offers members of the local community, as well as former and current West College Scotland learners, access to the Open University’s extensive range of part-time degrees and a dedicated study and support area in the college. The college works in partnership with Renfrewshire and East Renfrewshire Councils to deliver school-college partnership programmes, including Skills for Work programmes, to over 1,000 S3 to S6 school pupils each week.

External Review: Copies of the full report are available on the HMIE website.

The collaboration with West College Scotland brings opportunity for our clients to obtain certification and priority award learning award from a renowned college certifying an International standards of ‘World Class Performance’.